Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Feather Practice

 So here is a sample of different feathering techniques learned from youtube and the book you see below. I love feathers and hadn't realized how many different ways exist to make them, and how many different kinds of feathers you can create and how they don't have to be perfect. The important part is the curve at the end, but they can be long, short, skinny, fat all in the same feather!!
If you go to youtube and search "quilting free motion feathers" you'll get lots of video demonstrations. There was one in particular that really helped get my feathers more rounded and uniform, but they are far from perfect. It's a good thing "perfect" is not my thing, I just want to get better.
This book Dream Feathers by Peggy Holt has some great tips and ideas.
Now I have to baste a quilt in order to continue my practice. I almost always practice free motion on real quilts, why not? What am I going to do with all these swatches anyway? 

2 comments:

  1. I love Dream Feathers, too. It revolutionized my feather quilting! Yours is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Now I wonder why I didn't try this sooner!

    ReplyDelete