Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Quilt Around the World

This quilt is the result of participating in a block exchange with people that live all around the world. Each person got to request what kind of block they wanted and I chose improvisational houses. So here they came over a period of a few months and I thought, "How can I make this more interesting and more cohesive?" First, I dip dyed all the blocks in lime green dye along with some of my own printed fabric. After it was pieced together I started fusing little fences on the "streets". Then I started stamping fabric paint flower shapes here and there. Next I used inks to add shading  on the houses.
 
Since I had recently bought my new sewing machine I decided to quilt the houses using every decorative stitch I could use. I quilted all over the whole project. It was very freeing to make this.  I didn't care that much, so I just tried anything and went for it. I really like how it turned out. I never even added a binding.  I just zigzagged a couple of times around the edge and that was it! 
 Someone made me a lollipop tree, so I added some more.
 This was so much fun!


3 comments:

  1. Great quilt. I really like how you took diverse blocks and made them a cohesive whole. And you had fun doing it.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha, I so appreciate your comment. It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. another one i love. can you say that i love "wonky" quilts, lol.

    ReplyDelete